Directors of private limited companies in India must have a Director Identification Number (DIN). Any person over the age of 18 who does not have an existing DIN can submit an application for DIN to the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA).
DIN Requirements in India for Foreign Nationals
Foreign nationals applying a DIN will have to prepare the following documents for submission.
- Passport. Your passport will serve as proof of identity. You will need to have it notarized or apostilled in the issuing country. In case your passport does not have your date of birth, you will need to provide an additional document, certified, notarized, or apostilled.
- Proof of Address. You also provide a document, notarized or apostilled, bearing your name and the address that appears on your passport. The document cannot be older than one year. You can submit your driver’s license, residence card, or bank statement as proof of address. Any government-issued form of identification with your address is also acceptable.
- Proof of Residence. To validate your current address, you must submit proof of residence. This document must contain your name as it appears on your passport and it cannot be older than one year. You can submit your bank statement, electricity bill, telephone bill, or mobile phone bill as proof of residence.
If your proof of address or proof of residence is in a language other than Hindi or English, an official translator must translate it to either language.
DIN Application Process
1. Fill out the form
The first thing you need to do is fill out the form relevant to your company’s status.
Simplified Proforma for Incorporating a Company Electronically (SPICe)
You must also obtain a digital signature from an MCA-authorized Digital Signature Certificate provider.
For directors of new companies, a Chartered Accountant or Company Secretary must also digitally sign the SPICe form. For directors of existing companies, the signature may also come from the Managing Director, another director, the CEO, or the CFO of the company.
2. Gather all necessary documents
Aside from the documents listed above, your application must also include INC-9 and DIR-2. Emerhub will prepare your INC-9 and DIR-2 for your application.
3. Submit the form, documents, and payment of application fees
After submitting the form and documents and paying for application fees, you will need to wait for approval or rejection from India’s Central Government.
The application process takes about 4 to 5 days. If rejected, you will receive an email containing reason/s for rejection and you will have 15 days to rectify the rejection.
Common Reasons for DIN Rejection in India
India’s Central Government may reject your application for any of the following reasons:
- Incorrect proof of identity or proof of address
- Incorrect or mismatched details between the form and submitted documents
- The application is incomplete
- Documents seem forged or tampered with
- Documents are not readable
- The applicant already has a pending or approved application
You can avoid rejection by having Emerhub take care of your DIN application.
Ready to start your DIN application?
We facilitate your DIN application and make sure that your application is complete and correct. We can also assist in other matters related to your DIN such as rectifying rejection or making amendments to your DIN.
Fill out the form below to get in touch with us and we can get started with your DIN application.