How to get a long-term visa and a temporary resident card in Vietnam

Learn how to get a temporary resident card and also bring your family to Vietnam.

Work permit in Vietnam

There are many ways to get a long-term Vietnam visa. In this article we will cover the most common scenarios:

  • You are employed by a company in Vietnam
  • You own a stake in a company or represent a parent company
  • You are a family member of an expatriate

Note that starting from July 1, 2020, investors of companies with capital of less than USD 130,000 can no longer get temporary resident cards (TRC). So act quickly if you are a small business owner in Vietnam.

Table of contents

    Do foreigners need a work visa in Vietnam?

    There are two ways to hire foreign nationals in Vietnam:

    • As employees: an up to 24-month business visa with a work permit.
    • As consultants: an up to 12-month business visa without a work permit.

    Some roles in the company allow for a work permit exemption. Both the holders of work permits and work permit exemptions are eligible for temporary resident cards.

    Does registering a company in Vietnam give you residency?

    Registering a company makes you eligible for an investor visa which is valid for one to five years depending on the size of the company’s capital.

    Starting from July 1, 2020, only investors with a capital contribution of at least USD 130,000 can get a temporary resident card.

    Types of visas in Vietnam

    Business e-visa for short stays

    For a short-term stay of less than a month, the easiest option is to get a business e-visa. This allows the foreigner to stay in the country for up to a month and it can be obtained in just a few working days (often the same day).

    One-year business visa in Vietnam

    If the employee needs to stay in Vietnam for 1-12 months, the best option is to get a business visa. The visa will be processed in Vietnam and collected by the employee in the Vietnamese embassy abroad.

    Note that the business visa does not expand to family members who need to get their own visas.

    Long-term business visa

    Under the changes, the working visa will be divided into two categories, for work permit holders, and for work permit exemption certificate holders

    The business visa is available for foreign employees and directors and is valid for up to 24 months with multiple entries. 

    Investor visa

    Investors are eligible for an investor visa that is valid for 1-5 years, depending on the size of the company’s capital.

    Temporary resident card (TRC) in Vietnam

    Bringing the family to Vietnam with dependent visas

    From July, a temporary resident card (TRC) will no longer be available to a foreign investor if the company’s capital is less than USD 130,000 (VND 3 billion).

    An alternative is to apply for the work permit as an employee in your own company. This allows the investor to get a Temporary Resident Card and also give visas to the dependants.

    Who is eligible for a temporary resident card in Vietnam?

    Starting from July 2020, foreign nationals that have been in Vietnam for longer than 183 days in a calendar year are eligible for a TRC on the following grounds.

    Temporary Resident Card validityWho is eligible
    10 yearsInvestor if capital is higher than VND 100 billion
    5 yearsInvestor if capital is VND 50 billion to less than VND 100 billion
    3 yearsInvestor if capital is VND 3 billion to less than VND 50 billion dependent (spouse or child) Head of the representative office (NN2)
    2 yearsWork permit holder; work exemption (not investor)

    Get a long-term Vietnam visa with Emerhub

    Emerhub can help your business evaluate the correct visa option for your workers and investors, or to register your company in Vietnam and the associated steps to apply for an investor visa and temporary resident card for yourself and your dependents.

    Let's grow your business in Vietnam

    Emerhub has years of experience with stay/work permits in Vietnam.

    Get in touch with Emerhub by filling in the form below and our consultants will reach out to you within a few working hours.

    Optional. Leave blank if you prefer to communicate via email.
    stay/work permits in Vietnam

    Helped to set up my first company in Vietnam

    I really like and appreciated the support and help from Ms. Uyen and the team. The responses were fast and clear and helped me to set up my first company in Vietna,

    Jasmine Chau
    CSO & CMO,

    Willing to assist outside their usual working hours

    Thao and Phat are extremely helpful and willing to assist outside their usual working hours. They spoke and wrote well so communication was a breeze for me. I am relieved to have fabulous support and guidance from both. Please keep it up. Looking forward to working with you guys again…

    Elvin Chong

    Very happy with the company registration service

    I am very happy regarding the service I received until now, I hope the quality of service will remain at this standard.

    Geert Vranckx
    Refractory supervisor, Belgium

    Search Emerhub blog