Vietnam attracts more foreign Investment in Q2 2022
Table of contents
Despite a challenging environment in the world and ongoing tensions between the United States and China, as well as Russia and Ukraine, Vietnam’s economy has shown resilience. This is because of a strong domestic demand for manufacturing, an increase in Foreign Direct Investment and a record-breaking growth in its private sector. The government’s mix of focus for facilitating locally-lead and locally-owned organisations, as well as reforms that welcome international investors, have spearheaded Vietnam into one of the top performing economies in the region.
“The Russia-Ukraine conflict does not have a significant direct impact on foreign investment in Vietnam because the investment of Russia and Ukraine only accounts for a small proportion of the total investment capital, accounting for 0.23% of total investment capital, but has an indirect effect through high prices and causes supply chain disruptions.”Representative of the Foreign Investment Agency
The Ministry of Planning and Development’s data showed that as of June 20, 2022, the total newly registered capital from FDI for the year reached 14.03 billion USD. This is as much as 91.1% over the same period in 2021.
Vietnam’s Gross Domestic Product also grew 7.72% yoy in Q2 of 2022. The growth is faster than a marginally revised 5.05% growth in Q1. This trend points to the the third straight quarter of expansion in 2022.
In the first six months of 2022, foreign investors funded 18 industries out of a total of 21 national economic sectors. The processing and manufacturing industry continued to lead with a total investment of nearly 8.84 billion USD. This accounts for nearly 63% of the total registered investment capital. The real estate sector ranked second with total investment capital of more than 3.15 billion USD. This accounts for 22.5% of total registered investment capital.
The Vietnamese Government has also approved its 10-year National Strategy on Foreign Investment. For the period 2021-2030, The National Strategy aims to improve the business environment of Vietnam to draw more foreign investors and attract higher quality investments, including high-tech and the digital sector. It will target investments from top investors such as Japan, China, Taiwan, South Korea and Southeast Asian nations, as and ones from the EU. The Strategy puts forward 9 solutions to leverage foreign investment cooperation.
- Improve the business investment environment, and improve the economy’s quality, efficiency, and competitiveness.
- Developing an ecosystem of science, technology, and innovation.
- Innovating and enhancing competition in attracting foreign investment.
- Developing supporting industries, promoting linkages, and spreading.
- Promote internal capacity and take advantage of competitive advantages to improve the efficiency of foreign investment cooperation.
- Improve the efficiency of international economic integration and Vietnam’s position in the international arena.
- Modernize and diversify investment promotion.
- Improve the effectiveness and efficiency of state management of the foreign investment.
The strategy also includes the following:
- Develop the country’s innovation ecosystems: to speed up the implementation of the Resolution 52/NQ-CP issued in 2020 by the government on how the country shall approach the Industry 4.0 Revolution; to introduce incentives for cooperation and technology transfers; to complete the legal framework on the establishment, protection, and commercialisation of intellectual property (IP) rights in scientific, technological and creative activities.
- Foster supporting industries: to continue to improve the legal environment for technology transfers by building a synchronous document system; to promote the formation and development of intermediary organizations; to facilitate the forming of joint ventures and linkages between foreign-invested enterprises and domestic research institutes and universities.
Let's grow your business in Vietnam
Get in touch with Emerhub by filling in the form below and our consultants will reach out to you within a few working hours.
More articles from Vietnam
A Guide to Setting up a Foreign-Owned Logistics Company in Vietnam
Explore the essential steps and insights for establishing a foreign-owned logistics company in Vietnam. Navigate the legal framework to ensure a successful venture in the Vietnamese market
Shipping to Vietnam: How to Choose the Best Mode of Transport for Your Goods
Discover the most efficient shipping options for Vietnam, the import logistics, and how Emerhub’s services can help make your entry into the Vietnamese market a success.
Starting a travel company in Vietnam as a foreign investor
Explore the exciting possibilities of starting a travel company in Vietnam as a foreign investor.
Vietnam Visa Exemption: Visa-Free Entry now extended to 45 Days
Vietnam extends its visa-free stay from 15 to 45 days for citizens of 13 countries. Explore Vietnam’s rich culture and vibrant markets for extended periods, whether for pleasure or business.
Vietnam’s E-visa is now valid for 90 days – List of Eligible countries
Experience the best of Vietnam with extended stays for work or pleasure through the new 90-day Vietnam e-visa from August 15, 2023.
The Rise of Green Investments: Opportunities for Sustainable Investment in Vietnam
Discover how to make sustainable investments in Vietnam’s green sector. This article guides foreign investors on the prospects of green investment in Vietnam.