How to Apply for Pioneering Status in the Philippines
Table of contents Board of Investment registrationWho can apply for pioneering status in the Philippines?The process of evaluation for pioneering status in the PhilippinesEvaluation criteria for pioneering status in the PhilippinesHow to apply for pioneering status in the PhilippinesIn the Philippines, one of Asia’s fastest-growing economies, new projects which engage in preferred areas of investment […]
Table of contents
In the Philippines, one of Asia’s fastest-growing economies, new projects which engage in preferred areas of investment can apply for a pioneering status. One of the main advantages of companies with a pioneering status in the Philippines is that they don’t need to pay income tax for six years.
Taking full advantage of incentives provided by the government requires a few extra steps in addition to the regular process of company registration in the Philippines.
The two governmental institutes involved are the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) and Board of Investment (BOI). Enterprises need to register with either of these two institutions to apply for the incentives in the Philippines.
PEZA manages and develops Special Economic Zones and focuses on businesses established in those areas and dealing with export.
BOI, on the other hand, promotes foreign investment and supports foreign investors in fields listed in the current Investment Priorities Plan (IPP) by offering several fiscal and non-fiscal incentives.
Pioneering status requirements
Depending on your business activity, you first need to register your business with either of these institutes and only then you can apply for a pioneering status in the Philippines.
Companies striving for pioneering status must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Involve the manufacturing or processing (not only assembly or packaging) of goods or raw materials that have not been produced in the Philippines on a commercial scale
- Use a design, formula, scheme, method, process or system of production or transformation of any element or raw material or product which is new and untried
- Engage in agricultural activities or services essential to the achievement of the country’s self-sufficiency program
- Produce non-conventional fuels or manufactures equipment which uses non-conventional sources of energy
- Conform to other specific criteria as provided for in the annually-drawn Investment Priorities Plan (IPP)
- IT companies with projects which introduce a significant innovation in technology or which cost as the current IPP requires and are set up in the first five years of activities
The determination of eligibility and communication with the governmental institutions can be lengthy and need extra attention. However, Emerhub’s consultants can ease your burden and handle the BOI and PEZA registrations on your behalf.
Contact us via [email protected] to start now.
Learn more about the ways to maximize the tax incentives in the Philippines.
The evaluation process for pioneering status in the Philippines consists of three steps:
#1 Creation and assembly of a Technical Panel
The Department of Science and Technology, which works closely with PEZA and BOI, will assess the qualification for pioneering status.
Firstly, the Department of Science and Technology will form a Technical Panel. The Panel will determine the project’s eligibility for pioneering status.
#2 Visit and validation
The second step is the visit and validation during which the Technical Panel visits the company and evaluates whether your project qualifies for pioneering status in the Philippines.
#3 Assessment of eligibility
In the third stage of the process, the Technical Panel decides whether the company is a pioneer in the Philippines or not.
The basis for evaluating whether your company’s activities as pioneer or non-pioneer comes from the Investment Priorities Plan (IPP).
Also, note that the Board of Investments releases a new IPP every year. In case of absence of instructions, PEZA will define the criteria.
The criteria for determining pioneering status in the Philippines includes evaluation of:
- Technical viability of the products or processes
- The economic viability of the products or processes
- The extent to which technological advances are applied and adapted to local conditions
- Impact of productivity and efficiency
- Innovativeness/novelty of the product or methods or equipment to be developed
- The extent of technology transfer to local workforce and possibilities for commercial production
- What are the probable adverse effects of the resulting technology on the environment
Furthermore, you can later extend pioneer status to an Ecozone Export or Free Trade Enterprise. These, for example, ease restrictions on the import of raw materials and equipment.
Not sure whether your investment project is also eligible for pioneering status in the Philippines?
Contact us to learn more. All you need to do to is fill out the form below. Our consultants will gladly help you unlock the benefits the Philippines offers to foreign investors.
Need help with company registration in the Philippines? Have a look at our complete guide on how to register a corporation in the Philippines, too.
Let's grow your business in Philippines
Get in touch with Emerhub by filling in the form below and our consultants will reach out to you within a few working hours.
More articles about Philippines
Outsourcing to the Philippines: How EOR outperforms BPO
There are several ways to outsource to the Philippines. This blog will explore where BPO’s fall short and how businesses looking to outsource to the Philippines can overcome these issues.
Staffing Solutions Commonly Outsourced to the Philippines
Find out why Google outsources over 50% of its employees and how this staffing solution saves them time money and provides them with the flexibility to innovate more quickly.
Remote Team: Why You Still Need to Work With One Post-Covid
Even after the pandemic is over, most businesses that are capable of staying remote will remain remote due to the myriad of financial and logistical benefits. Find out what they are and how they can help to grow your business.